This MKR Recipe was cooked by Jake and Elle on Channel 7’s My Kitchen Rules. It was a hit with the judges and perfect for fig season. The original recipe is from the MKR Website and can be seen here.
Toasted hazelnuts, crushed, to garnish
100g butter, plus extra, to grease
125g dark chocolate
145g caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
50g plain flour
50ml marsala wine
2 fresh figs, halved
2 tbs honey
90g dark chocolate
2 tbs ground espresso coffee powder
1 vanilla bean, split, deseeded
9 egg yolks
225g caster sugar
10 dried figs, chopped
1. To make ice-cream, place milk, cream, coffee powder and vanilla bean and seeds in a heavy based saucepan over medium heat and bring to a simmer, without boiling, for 4 minutes. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
2. Using an electric mixer, beat egg yolks and sugar in a large heatproof bowl for 3 minutes or until thick and pale. Gradually beat into milk mixture, then pour into a clean saucepan. Stir over low heat until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Strain, and then cool to room temperature. Refrigerate until cold. Add figs, then churn in an ice-cream maker according to instructions. Freeze.
3. To make cakes, preheat oven to 190C. Grease and line bases of 4 x ½ cup moulds.
4. Place butter and chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, making sure bowl does not touch water, and stir until smooth. Cool slightly, then beat eggs and sugar until pale and thick. Slowly add chocolate mixture and beat until combined. Fold in vanilla extract and flour. Divide among prepared moulds and refrigerate until ready to serve.
5. To make sauce, place chocolate in a jug. Bring milk to the boil and pour over chocolate. Set aside for 2 minutes, then stir until smooth.
6. Place marsala in a small saucepan over medium heat and simmer for 1 minute, then stir in honey. Place figs on an oven tray and drizzle with marsala mixture. Grill for 5 minutes or until lightly browned and glazed.
7. Bake cakes for 15 minutes, then set aside for 2 minutes before inverting onto plates.
8. Garnish with nuts and serve with figs and ice-cream.